Monday, September 21, 2009

House Tour, Take 3

For those of you following the blog since its start in 2006, you'll know that this is the third house we've moved into in as many years. Both Matt and I lived in the same house respectively from birth to college, then each of our parents moved a short distance and built the houses they still call home. We weren't exactly raised as nomads. Our kids, on the other hand, have lived on 3 different continents already (I'm counting Alex's two months in the US last year because that's still a big chunk of his little life) and Ben is on his fourth house already. That's just counting the places we've gotten mail, not all the time we've spent living at my parents' place or in temporary accommodations.

So, please, join our tour guide Alex for a look at the newest place we're calling home.

Upstairs is the family room with the dining, living, and kitchen and a great view of the golf course and ocean. It's where we spend the most time because I can gate the kids in with me while we play or I cook.

Or while Ben catches up on his Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The living room is all at angles to the wall (pretty daring decor for the plain jane Kirkhams) but it was the best way to accommodate all the windows and make the most of the view.

The kitchen looks deceptively small but actually has a ton of storage. Or maybe it's just that our last kitchen was so small this feels huge. It even has a walk-in pantry...never had one of those before.

Down the stairs (one of the hundred times a day) to the middle floor, or all the way to the bottom and the kids' area.

Alex's room, which is the biggest he's ever had. I couldn't get the whole thing in the picture because the boys share a wall turned at an angle which really makes the most of the space.

Ben's room, also the biggest of his life. They each have a sliding glass door (with locks, thank goodness) that opens out into the little garden.

Back up on the middle floor is the playroom/study. Obviously still needing some seating and organization. I'm also trying to sell some of the younger toys that the kids don't use anymore to minimize the clutter.

Next stop down the hall is the master bedroom. Definitely one of the smallest we've had so the furniture is pretty cramped!

We can't even open our door all the way but at least we didn't have to remove a window to bring in the armoire.

His and hers closets lead to the master bath. Gotta love having your own closet.
Opposite our room is the guest room and bathroom but it's still too much of a mess to share pictures. But have no fear - we will get it straightened up very soon to welcome visitors! Lucky for us Singapore is only a 5 hour flight so we're looking for friends to take advantage free room and board.

At the end of the hall is the laundry room. So nice to have it inside again. Front loaders are endless entertainment for these two. And if you notice out the window, our neighbor's lemon tree hangs into our yard so we'll be helping ourselves to fresh lemons whenever we need them. We also have mint growing in the front so I'm going to try my hand at mint lamb chops this week.

Out the back door is the 2-car garage and separate storage room. It's really nice to keep all the junk locked up in a room so we have plenty of space for the cars. And did I mention we now have two cars? Matt became the proud owner of a 2003 Land Rover last week so we'll be able to see Australia now with 4-wheel drive. Next weekend is a 3-day weekend so we'll be on the road somewhere...just haven't decided where yet. I'm driving the Aussie version of the Picnic we had in Singapore, only this time in white and with a massive tow hitch. Not sure what I'll be hauling in my mom-mobile, but I guess it's good to know I can drag a trailer or boat if the mood strikes.

So welcome (again) to our home, a place we hope to make many happy memories and watch our boys grow. Alex may not ever remember his Australian adventures but hopefully Ben is old enough to remember this place one day.

God bless this home with peace - Luke 10:5

3 comments:

  1. Very fun to see. It sounds like you all are getting settled in! Love the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love keeping up with ya'lls australian adventure!

    ReplyDelete