Monday, November 20, 2017

Cub Scout Campout

We were pretty excited about our first Cub Scout campout.  We were staying inside the Taman Safari park but the campground is hard to reach, so we had to load our bags on a truck and pile in a big bus to drive up near it, then walk another 10 minutes down a small road to reach the grounds.
 

Meals were provided in the big mess hall, which had a gorgeous view.
 

Thankfully, tents were provided and they were raised up off the ground.  We were grateful since we brought very little of our own camping gear.

The campground was scenic and right next to the river, so we got to sleep to the sounds of the water running just past our tent and the rain falling on the canopy over it.

 Unfortunately, about 30 seconds after we picked our tents, I met my first Asian hornet and got a nasty sting on the head.  I've never had such intense pain from an insect sting or had it last for so long.  I was miserable for hours because the pain didn't let up all afternoon.  Because of the traffic and different travel times for everyone, there were no organized activities all afternoon so I rested while Matt and the boys explored.

I ventured back out for dinner and the night safari, which was really interesting.  Afterward, we got to meet a few of the younger cats up close and personally.
 

 
 
 On Sunday morning, we enjoyed the beautiful campgrounds after breakfast.

The boys cut sticks and ran around chasing one another...a perfect way to enjoy the outdoors.

Several of the kids, including Alex, managed to pick up leeches in the wet grass  *shudder*  We met lots of local wildlife on this trip.

The boys had slingshot tournament.

They also got to line up for the flying fox zipline.

Alex couldn't wait to get to the top.

I think he passed about four kids in his rush to the top.

Superman!

My head still hurt the next day but not nearly as much.  I was still hitting the ground every time I saw a flying insect, though.

The boys were awarded the badges they had earned so far this year and we packed up to head home.

It was a fun time and I'd love to do it again one day when I'm fully conscious the entire trip!

Turns out the hornet sting was a gift that just kept on giving.  When we got home Sunday afternoon, I noticed my face was swelling so I popped some more benadryl.  By that evening, I looked something like this!  It was time to see what Jakarta medicine could do to help me.  I've now had two rounds of steroids and I'm hoping and praying the swelling doesn't come back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment