Friday, November 16, 2018

Middle School UN Day

This was my first time to experience UN day at the Middle School and it was pretty wonderful.  Two sweet girls were the hostesses on the Bali Stage for the day's events.

Each country is represented by one student (usually the oldest from that country) and they play a snippet of the national anthem while the flag is presented.

Very cool to see the dozens of nationalities that make up the middle school!  And notice the principal decked out in all his Canadian gear.  Every UN day reminds me of the priceless education the kids are getting in world cultures and appreciation of the differences that make us all unique.

It was a beautiful but HOT day and the kids and adults in the sun were melting.  I could see Ben on the other side (blue Astros hat) just on the edge of the shade and I felt so bad for him.

After the official ceremony, everyone moved down to the soccer fields for some more presentations, like Balinese and Bollywood dancing, and the big event - the international food fest.

The soccer fields were lined with stalls from each country serving up delicious food and there were so many choices!  After we served the kids, I had barbecue, empanadas, mango sticky rice, spring rolls, butter chicken, and a snow cone before I even realized that I was too full for the lasagna from Italy or stroopwafels from the Netherlands.

The fantastic American team!  Our theme (borrowed directly from the high school moms who hosted theirs the week prior) was an American tailgate with barbecue, buffalo chicken wings, and chocolate chip cookies.  It was a huge hit with everyone and such a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment