Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tons of Pictures (Part II)

I took my parents to downtown Singapore for a little more sightseeing and we couldn't pass up the opportunity for some pictures with the merlion, Singapore's mascot of sorts.
We enjoyed a nice lunch on the riverfront after touring a museum and little Alex napped through it all. He's a portable little guy. After Ben came home from the hospital he didn't go to any public places except the doctor's office for about 6 months, so it's been nice to have the freedom of carrying a baby along on our outside activities.

We couldn't walk past the ice cream sandwich vendor with getting one. It's a true sandwich here with a slice of ice cream on folded sweet bread and one of my favorite local treats.

Ben's newest hobby has been playing with the sliding porch doors. All 4 move independently so it is quite an exciting game for him, probably not so much for Grammy who would sit patiently with him to make sure he didn't explore the porch railing!

Another fun game is sitting in the baby's chair. He always has to lean over and turn on the vibrations and get a nice massage while he's relaxing.

Ben is helpful to find a pacifier when the baby starts crying, but sometimes it doesn't make it straight into Alex's mouth. Ben quit using his around 3-4 months so it's a pretty interesting toy now.

Another first - the two boys together and neither one is crying! Matt figured out the trick...put a sleeping Alex in Ben's lap while Elmo is on TV.

Ben watched him for a minute, gave Alex a kiss, then went back to watching Elmo. Not the sweetest moment in the world, but definitely a step in the right direction!

Another little smile from Alex just before bathtime. He smiles all the time when he's falling asleep but we still haven't gotten a real one face to face.

I set Alex on the bed for a minute to grab more diapers and he was asleep when I turned back around. It amazes me at how easily he sleeps, I guess because Ben has never been one to fall asleep just anywhere. Ben has always taken some work to get to sleep, especially during the day. I'm especially proud of little Alex today because he slept for 6 hours straight last night and I'm a different person! Hopefully he'll continue to sleep a little longer at night.

We very reluctantly said goodbye to Grumpy and Grammy. Their flight left at 2:30am (ouch!) so Ben was in bed well before they had to leave. Alex said his goodbyes a little later before he went to sleep.

We all hated to say goodbye, especially knowing that Alex will be a different baby entirely by the time we head back to Houston for Christmas. We had a wonderful two weeks with my parents and already miss them so much. I got an email that they made it home safely and their kitties were very happy to see them, so we're glad to know they survived the long flight once again...it's not an easy trip! We all appreciated them going through it to come visit us.

Ben spent a lot of time yesterday wandering into the guest room and asking from "Gammy" and "Gumpy". He had a great time getting some much-needed attention while I tended to Alex and we adults had a wonderful time visiting and catching up with one another. Now we're looking for new types of entertainment and Ben is finding it with all the baby's toys right now. I think he enjoyed this old toy a lot more than Alex!

I'm still working on getting Alex settled into a routine so that he and Ben aren't hungry and sleepy at the same time every day, but so far I haven't had much success. Some days I can get them both to take a nap at the same time (like right now, the only reason I have time to sit at the computer!) but usually I want a nap, too. Hopefully in a few more weeks we'll get a nice schedule for everyone so I'm not juggling kids at naptime and dinnertime...and maybe I could answer an email or two! I got spoiled very quickly to having some grandparents around who enjoyed helping out with the kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment