Wednesday, August 10, 2011

More than five years ago, Matt and I were huddled together in the labor and delivery ward at St. Lukes listening to a neonatologist explain the possible outcomes of a baby born at 24 weeks gestation. He was thankfully very honest with us but the truth was overwhelmingly scary. I was on all kinds of drugs at the time trying to stop the contractions so most of the night was a blur, but I very clearly remember Dr. Hankins assuring us that "most children have caught up by kindergarten". Just on the verge of being parents, Matt and I couldn't possibly think five years into the future and wait and hope that long to have a normal child, if he survived at all. It was terrifying.

Fast-forward five years and we've made it, if you can say that. Lots of growing and developing on Ben's part and countless miracles. "Catching up" is less of an achievement and more of a blending into the range of development for his age. And we're there! I just filled out all of Ben's registration paperwork for kindergarten and there is no need to mention a premature birth or developmental delays. I will consider one of the greatest blessings of my life to be the ability to check the "no medical conditions" box on his forms. Our little miracle is ready to start school with nothing holding him back. And not only is Ben ready, he's actually starting a year earlier than he would have had he been born on his due date in September.

Thank you Lord for this precious boy and this major milestone in his life!

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 8:28

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Here's to many more uneventful (aka 'no medical conditions')passing of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day! What a special little guy! Have fun in Kindergarten! - Deachi

    ReplyDelete