Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Technology Generation

I bought my first stereo and CD player with babysitting money the summer before I started high school. I heard about the internet in high school but never actually used it until I took my first college class in summer school after graduation. My college graduation gift was a cell phone and I had to keep track of those 200 precious minutes each month or risk paying a fortune in extra charges. Things have come so far since then and that was only 10 years ago!

My kids are growing up thinking any song they want to hear will come on the radio, thanks to our ipod. Every picture is ready for immediate approval on our digital camera. They assume every TV show is ready to watch the second they ask for it because of the DVR. Ben thinks every VHS tape is Dumbo because that's the only video he's ever watched (and don't ask me why we have several old videos here and no VCR). They both love seeing pictures and playing games on my computer, so I finally introduced them to the world of youtube today. Just things like funny animals and silly accidents but they are HOOKED. Before I realized it, we'd spent half an hour laughing at cats doing flips and old men falling off trampolines. Wow, technology is great. Then I have a heart attack about what it will be like when they're older and on facebook or youtube themselves...but one day at a time! For now we'll enjoy the innocent pleasures of the internet.

2 comments:

  1. Llew has started youtube bigtime. I waver between wanting to know what he's posting and not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it... Pierce has recently discovered youtube as well... you have to look up the Rube Goldberg machine Pierce watched it like 100 times... it is for an engineer brain for sure... I think your boys will like it.

    ReplyDelete