Thursday, May 20, 2010

Three Years Abroad

Believe it or not, today marks three years since we moved overseas! Life has changed so much...just look at little Ben on his first international flight.

I've also been thinking about how much I've changed over the past three years, living on two very different continents and learning about the world outside of America. This experience has definitely made me more outgoing and much less uncomfortable in situations where I don't know anyone. I used to break out in a cold sweat thinking of going to a social event with total strangers and now I look forward to meeting some new people and having interesting conversations. My brain converts from fahrenheit to celsius, feet to meters, and ounces to milliliters automatically. I have to remind myself that it is correct for drivers in the movies to sit on the left side. I plan my mornings around which days it's convenient to skype with my parents or call my sister, since there is no calling Texas after 10am here (at least not if I want to stay on good terms with anyone!). For all its ups and downs, this has been a wonderful experience for us all.

No matter where home is at the moment, the boys always know how to have a good time. Sometimes that just involves figuring out how to get an arm or two free from one's shirt!

We made cupcakes to take to Ben's school on Wednesday and Ben decided that his puppy needed a birthday celebration himself. Favorite animal + candle = near disaster, of course, but we managed to keep puppy from being incinerated and enjoyed the cupcakes.

Alex was playing quietly in the yard, which any mother would know means he was making some kind of trouble. Turns out our sprinklers had left a puddle in the pool and he found it with no problems.



We got to watch Daddy catch a few waves at the beach in front of the house recently. The boys loved it even though I'm not sure they ever knew which one was Matt.

NOT what anyone woman wants to see while watching her husband in the ocean - a large fin. The first time it surfaced it was going straight and fast, but then it came up again and was obviously a dolphin hunting fish and not a shark. Matt said he and several other surfers watched the dolphin riding a few waves of his own.

The boys' attention drifted, naturally, and they spread plenty of grass on the sidewalk. Such fun.

A nice way to spend a late afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment